Find Support

This page offers Student Resources available at KU which promote IDEA values. Click on each header to visit the organization's page. 

If you need immediate non-emergency assistance, please call Student Affairs at: 785-864-4060. If you need immediate non-emergency support, please consider texting (START to 741-741) or calling (1-800-273-8255). If this is an emergency, please call 911. 


Immediate Phone Support from CAPS

Text: START to 741-741 or Call: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

It’s easy to procrastinate getting help, but reaching out for support is the first step to feeling better. KU offers confidential counseling services or can help connect you with resources in your community. Just talking about what’s going on can help you feel better, so take that first step by reaching out for help or opening up to a trusted friend or family member. There are ways to feel better, but you have to tell someone what you’re going through.

KU Applied English Center

The KU Applied English Center's goal is to help you achieve your goals, and we have many ways to do that. The administrators, staff, and faculty of the AEC are constantly developing new courses, new skills, and new ways to support our students, not just in their English language skills, but in their understanding of the culture and ways to make friends and find support systems in the U.S. and abroad.

KU CAPS Counseling and Psychological Services

The mission of Counseling and Psychological Services is to aid in the emotional and psychological development of students in the university environment for the purpose of enhancing performance; assist in the evaluation of student academic progress for the purpose of improving student and faculty functioning and; contribute to the professional education of graduate students in mental health and counseling professions.

KU Campus Cupboard

The Campus Cupboard is a food pantry for KU students, faculty, staff, and affiliates. It was created to address and reduce food insecurity among our campus community. The Campus Cupboard is located on Level 4 of the Kansas Union and accessible from both the Student Involvement and Leadership Center and the Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center.

KU CARE (Campus Assistance, Resource, and Education) Coordinator

The CARE coordinator's primary role is to provide institutional support for students who have been impacted by any form of violence. Services are free and confidential, and the CARE Coordinator is also exempt from mandatory reporting to University officials or organizations. The CARE Coordinator offers individualized therapeutic support, education and assistance navigating campus and community resources; support during the reporting process (both KU and criminal), and interim assistance with academic or housing needs.

KU Center for Educational Opportunities

The Center for Educational Opportunities provides students and families with academic, financial, social, and career supports by partnering with school districts and communities. KU CEOP supervises the TRIO and McNairs scholars programs which serve underrepresented student populations. 

KU Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity

The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity (SGD) at the University of Kansas strives to build an inclusive campus community by providing social justice-based education, resources, programming, events, training, and support for queer and trans students, staff and faculty at the intersections of identity.

KU Hawklink

The Hawk Link program is intentionally crafted to support students of color, queer students and undocumented students while they navigate the first two years at the University of Kansas. The program intends to equip students with resources to achieve their academic and personal goals, create meaningful experiential learning opportunities, foster critical dialogues about social justice, and help students build a community that fosters a strong sense of belonging on campus. 

KU Institutional Opportunity and Access

KU's office of Institutional Opportunity and Access (IOA) serves as a neutral and unbiased resource for students, faculty, and staff who wish to report an allegation of discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, sexual violence and/or retaliation.

KU International Student Support Services

International Support Services provides opportunities to increase student involvement on campus and in the community, educate students about resources on campus and how to maintain legal status while an international student. ISS also provides immigration support for employees and visiting scholars. 

KU Legal Support for Students

The purpose of the program, which has been on campus since 1979, is to encourage students to seek the advice of an attorney in order to prevent legal difficulties and to provide assistance when students anticipate or encounter legal problems. Legal Services for Students attorneys (or law students working under the supervision of an attorney) interview and advise students regarding legal matters. The office provides three major services: advice, representation and educational programs.

KU Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging

The Office of Diversity & Equity leads and facilitates the development of institutional policies and protocols intended to create a more representative, equitable, and inclusive KU; where greater fairness, care, and belonging are better integrated into our learning and workplace practices; and all have opportunities to meet their academic and professional goals.

KU Office of Multicultural Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Affairs provides support and services for current and prospective students from historically marginalized populations. Our programs and services enhance the retention and persistence of students, while supporting their academic, personal and professional development. Additionally, through purposeful coalitions, we offer diversity and social justice education programs that foster inclusive learning environments for the campus community.

KU Student Access Center 

The Student Access Center (SAC) coordinates accommodations for students at KU. It is an individual's choice whether to self-identify, submit documentation, and make the decision about using accommodations. Accommodations are authorized after a student submits a complete application with documentation and meets with an Access Specialist in the SAC. Para-transit is available to students with temporary or permanent mobility impairments who are unable to use the standard buses.

KU Student Affairs Assists: Student Care Referral Team

Student Care Referral Team (SCRT) is an interdisciplinary, administrative team that through referrals identifies students who may be experiencing difficulty coping with their environment and/or life circumstance, assesses those referrals for needs and risk, and develops intervention and outreach plans in collaboration with Student Support and Case Management.

KU Student Affairs

The Office of the Vice Provost for Student Affairs coordinates and develops student support services and programs and serves as an advocate for student needs across the university community that contribute to overall academic success. Student Affairs extends beyond the classroom. Our mission is to engage the KU community in services and programs that make learning possible. We care about you, your studies, your social growth, your well-being and want to help you enjoy a great KU experience.

KU Student Affairs: Student Support and Case Management

If you are concerned about your own health or a peers. This resource offers a way to share. Student Support and Case Management empowers students to address and overcome barriers in order to achieve their educational and life goals while at the University of Kansas. Using a holistic and strengths-based approach, and in collaboration with campus and community partners, SSCM seeks to provide individuals support to connect students to each other and their communities to create a safer, healthier, and more caring environment. 

Lawrence Community Resources for Housing Assistance

If your household needs additional housing, utility, or other assistance, please use the information below to connect with these resources.


For Immediate Help Contact CAPS by phone or text

  • Text: START to 741-741

  • Call: 1-800-273-TALK (ext. 8255)

Need Food: Visit KU Campus Cupboard